a charity supporting parents & carers of challenging children

HELPP Help Education and Learning for Parents by Parents accepts no liability for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided in this web-site. We are not medical professionals and we are not giving any medical or professional advice or service through the publication or distribution of articles or comments on this web-site. Individuals with suspected or diagnosed disorders or syndromes, or any conditions discussed on this web-site should consult with a qualified professional for advice concerning diagnosis and treatment. HELPP is a Registered Charity, No: 1139691. HELPP is a Private Limited Company, No: 7434496. Copyright 2014 KieronDSmith all rights reserved.  Revised: 29 October 2014  


Contact us

Absolute Discharge

A young person is given an Absolute Discharge when they admit guilt or are found guilty, but no further action is taken against them

Acceptable Behaviour Contract (ABC)

This is given when a Local Authority and Youth Offending Team identify a young person who is behaving anti-socially at a low level. The young person enters into a contract with them where they agree to stop the patterns of behaviour that are causing nuisance to the local community and undertake activities to address their offending behaviour.


Attention Deficit Disorder


Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder

Annual Review

Every year a child's Statement of Special Educational Needs is reviewed at the child's school. This review looks at how your child has been getting on and makes sure that the education and support they receive is meeting their needs.

Anti-Social Behaviour Order

This can be given to anyone who is 10 years of age or over and has behaved in a manner that caused or was likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to someone or some people who do not live in their own household.


Anti-Social Behaviour Order


Autistic Spectrum Disorder

Attention Span

The amount of time a child can remain working on the same task without being distracted or losing interest

Auditory Discrimination

The ability to listen to sounds and hear similarities and differences between them.


Behavioural Support Team


Common Assessment Framework


Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service

Code of Practice

The guide for schools and local education authorities that sets out how they should identify and provide for children with special educational needs.

Cognitive Ability

The term used to describe a child's ability to know, think and reason.

Conditional Discharge

A young person receiving a Conditional Discharge receives no immediate punishment. A period of time is set and as long as the young person does not commit a further offence during this period no punishment is imposed.


Crown Prosecution Service


Children with Disabilities Team


Children & Young People's Inclusion Support Panel


Children & Young People's Learning Service


Deficits in Attention, Motor Control, and Perception

Department of Education and Skills

The Government department responsible for education.


Department for Education and Skills


Detention and Training Order


Emergency Duty Team

Educational Psychologist

Educational Psychologist are qualified teachers who are also qualified in psychology. Their training and experience help them understand how children develop and learn.

EP, Ed Psych

Educational Psychologist


Education Welfare Officer

Final Warning

This is a formal verbal warning given by a police officer to a young person who admits their guilt for a first or second offence.

Fine Motor Skills

Skills that use the smaller muscles in the body for precise task like writing and drawing.


Family Intervention Project

Foundation stage

Children aged between 3 - 5 years in pre-schools, nurseries and reception classes.

Gross Motor Skills

Skills that use the larger muscles in the body for activities that require strength, co-ordination and balance like running and jumping.


Individual Education Plan

Independent Parent Supporter

This is a trained volunteer who can support you throughout your child's assessment. You can access these through the Parent Partnership Service.

Individual Education Plan

An Individual Education Plan gives details of how the curriculum is to be delivered for a child with special educational needs. It set individual targets for the child to achieve and a date when their progress will be reviewed.

Individual Support Orders

This is a court order given to 10-17 year olds which can be attached to ASBOs and impose positive conditions on the young person to address the underlying causes of the behaviour that led to the ASBO.


Independent Parental Supporter


 Individual Support Order


Intensive Supervision and Surveillance Programme


Joint Adolescent Service


Local Education Authority

Learning Support Assistant

The Learning Support Assistant works under the direction of the class teacher.

Local Child Curfew

A local authority or a local police force can ban children under 16 from being in a public place during specified hours unless under the control of a responsible adult.

Local Education Authority

The Local Education Authority is the part of the London Borough of Sutton with responsibility for education. They are also responsible for undertaking Statutory Assessments and maintaining these SEN statements.


Learning Support Assistant

Mainstream School

An ordinary school maintained by the Local Education Authority.


Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub

Named LEA Officer

Also known as Assessment Officers. The LEA must tell you your Named Officer when they issue a proposal to make a Statutory Assessment of your child. This is the person who you liaise with about your child's assessment.

National Curriculum

The range of subjects that schools must offer to their pupils. It describes what should be taught and sets attainment targets for learning. All children have an entitlement to the National Curriculum.


National Youth Advocacy Service

Occupational Therapy

A medical service provided by the Health Authority to help children improve their physical skills and fine motor control. The Occupational Therapist works with children, parents and teachers and advises on equipment and ways of working which will improve the child's access to the curriculum.


Obsessive Compulsive Disorder


Oppositional Defiance Disorder


Office for Standards in Education

OFSTED - Office for Standards in Education

OFSTED is responsible for the inspection of all schools and Local Education Authorities in England.


Occupational Therapy

Parent Partnership Service

The Sutton Parent Partnership Service is a Local Education Authority funded service which provides information and support to parents of children with special educational needs.

PDD nos

Pervasive Developmental Disorder (not otherwise specified)

Peripatetic Teacher

A teacher, usually a specialist (eg. Teacher for hearing impaired) who is not based at a school but visits children and young people in different schools.

Portage Service

This is an educational home visiting service for pre-school children whose development is significantly delayed.

Referral Order

This is given to a young person who pleads guilty to an offence when it is their first time in court, unless the court decides on a custodial sentence or the offence is relatively minor. The young person enters into a contract which aim is to repair the harm caused by the offence and address the causes of the offending behaviour.


This is a formal verbal warning given by a police officer to a young person who admits they are guilty of a minor first offence.

School Action

This is one of the stages of the identification and assessment process for children with special educational needs. Provision for the child is made from resources and expertise available within the school. The provision is additional to, or different from that made for the majority of children of the same age. An Individual Education Plan IEP will set targets to be achieved and outline the help the child will receive.

School Action Plus

If a child fails to make progress at the School Action stage, the school will seek advice, support or help from specialists or services outside of the school. The child will have an IEP and continue to receive help from within the school.

Section 90/91

If a young person is convicted of an offence for which an adult could receive at least 14 years in custody, they may be sentenced under Section 90/91. This sentence can only be given in the Crown Court. If the conviction is for murder, the sentence falls under Section 90, otherwise the sentence will be under Section91. The length of the sentence can be anywhere up to the adult maximum for the same offence, which for certain offences may be life.


Special Education Needs


Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator


Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal


 Speech and Language Therapy

Special Education Needs (SEN)

A child is said to have Special Education Needs if s/he has a learning difficulty that requires extra help to be given. One in five children may have some sort of learning difficulty during their time at school.

Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal (SENDIST)

This is an independent body that parents can appeal to if they disagree with a decision made by the LEA about their child's special educational needs. SENDIST also deal with allegations of disability discrimination for children in schools.

Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO)

Every school and early years setting has a SENCO. The SENCO is responsible for helping other teachers to identify children with SEN and to plan the help they need. The SENCO must ensure that Individual Education Plans (IEPs) are in place for those children who need them and arrange for these to be reviewed.

Special School

A special school will have a high level of expertise in providing for one or more types of special educational needs, such as severe learning difficulties or moderate learning difficulties. Children can only attend a special school if the LEA names it o the Statement of special educational needs.

Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD)

A child is said to have a specific learning difficulty if s/he has a difficulty in one particular area of learning. Some common forms of specific learning difficulties are dyslexia and dyspraxia.

Speech and Language Therapy

This service provides help for children with speech, language or communication difficulties.


Specific Learning Difficulties

Statement of Special Education Needs

This is a legal document which sets out a child's needs and all the extra help she/he will get from within the school and/or from specialist support services. The LEA will need to conduct a statutory assessment before deciding whether to issue a statement of SEN. The LEA has a duty to maintain the statement and to ensure the child receives the help described in it.

Statutory Assessment

If a child has a long term or complex learning difficulty the LEA will consider whether to make a statutory assessment. This is a detailed investigation of a child's special educational needs. It will consider evidence from a range of professionals as to what the child's needs are and the provision necessary to meet those needs. A statutory assessment may or may not result in a Statement of SEN.


Secure Training Centres

Supervision Order

These can last up to three years and have a range of conditions attached to them such as drug treatment, curfews or residence requirements.

Transition Plan

This is a plan drawn up at the child's Annual Review in Year 9, and which is then reviewed annually. It sets out the steps needed for them to move from school to adult life.

Visual Discrimination

This is the ability to recognise similarities or differences between objects, pictures and words using the eyes.


Youth Justice Board


Young Offender Institute

Here is a list of terms that you may come across.  It is rather long but illustrates many of the issues that there are in looking after the rights and development of children

Glossary of terms & abbreviations